Re: Question about pre-meeting document posting deadlines for the IESG and the community

John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    > The question that started the thread is whether other mechanism of
    > getting documents posted --other than, e.g., mailing list discussions--
    > frustrate the intent of that two week limit and, if so whether they are
    > reasonable.  I had intended to open up, and ask for community

I tend to object loudly when I-D gets posted to the list, especially -00.
To me, it's really a "you must be this tall to write protocols".

Some of that is just time management. It's a skill that many of have struggle
with.   {Many of are neurodivergent, and one aspect of that is saying "YES"
when asked to do work, when really we are too busy.}

Perhaps it's too harsh an attitude towards newbies.  But, newbies know they
have got stuff to learn, and mostly they get that they have to learn stuff.

It's when people who should know better are not learning, or are refusing to
use new tools: and frankly what I've seen in the last few years is that it's you: John.
You don't seem to be willing to learn new things.

Post your XML.  We need it.  If you want to extend the vocabulary, then do it
sanely.  I'm sure you know how to use sed/awk/grep-v/perl to filter your
comments out.  A makefile would do that for you.
I have a ten line one you can have, no git or github required.
{Glad you aren't still using nroff}

I've done many pre-processors for XML to insert examples from files to keep
them fresh and reproduceable.   Some of those things are now trivial to do in
kramdown, so my stuff goes away as I upgrade.

    > entirely would be, IMO, just the sort of distraction from the larger
    > issues that I think Pete and I are concerned about.

I don't really know what you large issue is.
It definitely got lost in this thread.

The two week window is not the major issue that the IETF needs to worry
about.  How to fund our work is our major problem.

How much work are ADs doing, and are they doing the *right* work is my major
issue.  Are WG chairs and document shepherds going the right work that we
need to improve document quality?  How can we get train them up so that ADs
aren't doing that work?

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-                      *I*LIKE*TRAINS*