Re: [Last-Call] Dnsdir last call review of draft-ietf-add-resolver-info-10

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the review.

The changes made so far to address your review can be tracked at: https://author-tools.ietf.org/api/iddiff?url_1=https://boucadair.github.io/add-resolver-information/draft-ietf-add-resolver-info.txt&url_2=https://boucadair.github.io/add-resolver-information/Jim-Review/draft-ietf-add-resolver-info.txt

Please see more context inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] Fixed.

> The term "upstream resolver" has crept into a few RFCs but it doesn't
> appear to have been formally defined by the IETF. For simplicity, I
> think the ID should just say "resolver server" and avoid "upstream
> resolver" entirely.
>
> 2 The first two sentences of section 1 are clunky. I think they could
> be replaced with:
>
> "Historically, DNS clients have not needed to know about which
> features (if any) were provided by their corresponding recursive
> resolver servers. Recent developments which include DoH (RFC8484) and
> Extended Error Reporting (RFC8914) mean that earlier assumption no
> longer generally applies. Instead of depending on opportunistic
> approaches, modern DNS clients need a more reliable way to discover
> which of these newer resolver features are available so they can then
> make use of them."

[Med] Thanks.

> 3) Clearer guidance on the size of RESINFO records would be helpful.
> RFC6763 mumbles in places about "only a few hundred bytes". RESINFO
> RRs are unlikely to be bigger than that and I think it would be
> prudent to say so in this ID. Better still,the draft could say RESINFO

[Med] 6.1 of 6763 points to 6.2 which includes clear guidance than "few hundreds". I think the guidance in 6.2 of 6763 is fine.

> 4) "RESINFO RR type query" should be "query for RESINFO QTYPE". QTYPE
> is the term used in RFC1035. So there! ;-)

[Med] ACK.

> 5) RFC7070's definition of reputation is poor. It comes from a source
> that seems to be unavailable on-line. I think the I-D should directly
> reference a decent on-line dictionary's definition of "reputation",
> preferably the OED's. [Webster's and its variants are an affront to
> the English language IMO.]

[Med] The point of citing 7070 is to contextualize the term for Internet technologies. This was added to address a comment from Éric. I suggest to keep this reference.

Thank you.