Re: [Last-Call] [DNSOP] Tsvart telechat review of draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-error-reporting-07

> On 14 Feb 2024, at 03:31, Paul Wouters <paul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2024, Roy Arends wrote:
>
>>> 1. There is a recommendation to use DNS COOKIEs [RFC7873] over UDP (PS), but no
>>> statement about how to mitigate the effects when these are not used. What ought
>>> someone to do when this is not done?
>>
>> It is recommended that the client (the resolver) sets the DNS COOKIE. The benefit of using cookies is for the client. It is to make sure that the response is genuine.
>
> Does it? Not for an on-path attacker that sees the COOKIE in the clear.
> So what attack does this really counter?

Ah, no, apologies, it doesn’t. (I’ll blame this on my DNSSEC muscle memory). I should know better. I’ll try again:

There is text in the document that specifies what the monitoring agent should do if cookies are not used:

Section 6.3:

  The monitoring agent SHOULD respond to queries received over UDP that
  have no DNS COOKIE set with a response that has the truncation bit
  (TC bit) set to challenge the resolver to re-query over TCP.

> And if using TLS, then one wouldn't need a COOKIE anymore to prove genuineness.
>
>> However, there is little value in the response. The actual value for error-reporting is to the authoritative server that may have an issue.
>>
>> When cookies are not set, or are not used, there is language that states the following:
>>
>> The monitoring agent SHOULD respond to queries received over UDP that have no DNS COOKIE set with a response that has the truncation bit (TC bit) set to challenge the resolver to re-query over TCP.
>
> This sounds more like an attempt for a mechanism for the monitoring agent
> to determine that the incoming report is not send from a spoofed address,
> but it wouldn't work like that. Setting the TC would work, provided the
> client comes back. Or if the monitoring agent would demand a COOKIE
> before answering (even if the answer is not the actual data the resolver
> wants anyway). If the monitoring agent requests a COOKIE, it would force
> the resolver to resend with the COOKIE, proving it is not just a spoofed
> packet. But that would always result in double the load to the
> monitoring agent.

A cookie may be set due to an earlier transaction, no?

Roy