Re: [Last-Call] [dtn] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-dtn-ipn-update-09

> On Feb 7, 2024, at 06:46, Rick Taylor <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> The main point of discussion here is about IETF process: obsoleting IRTF
> documents by the IETF is considered unusual. Finding a simple way around
> this, such as not obsoleting 7116 is an approach we could consider, it's
> just a matter of determining a valid reason why the ipn update doesn't
> obsolete 7116.

Rick,

I apologize if this sounds unreasonable, but I really think you are making this process much too complex.

First, maybe you open a conversation with the IRTF Chair and describe the situation as you see it.
Then ask if the IRTF Chair or IRSG would agree to move that IRTF document to Historic status ?

It is possible that someone (might be them or might be you) would need to create a short "IRTF Track" document which explains the background and then changes the status of the applicable documents to “Historic” or whatever is deemed sensible by the IRTF Chair.

Yours,

Ran