From: dtn <dtn-bounces@xxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Rick Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2024 12:46 PM
To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Russ Housley <housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; gen-art@xxxxxxxx; draft-ietf-dtn-ipn-update.all@xxxxxxxx; dtn@xxxxxxxx; last-call@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [dtn] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-dtn-ipn-update-09

Hi Scott,

One of the purposes of wanting to "update" RFC7116 was to absolutely clarify the situation as regards applicability with different bundle protocol versions, as you are correct that there is no IRTF/IETF guidance.

The main point of discussion here is about IETF process: obsoleting IRTF documents by the IETF is considered unusual. Finding a simple way around this, such as not obsoleting 7116 is an approach we could consider, it's just a matter of determining a valid reason why the ipn update doesn't obsolete 7116.

My assertion is that ipn-update could avoid obsoleting 7116 (if absolutely necessary) because 7116 could be seen as a BPv6-only document, and the ipn-update is a BPv7-only document, and hence no change of status of 7116 need be required.  This assertion was based on the following:

1. IETF BPv7 did not exist at the time of publication of IRTF RFC 7116, and 7116 explicitly mentions RFC 5050 (IRTF BPv6)

2. The part of ipn-update that impacts RFC 7116 are the "CBHE"
registries, and Compressed Bundle Header Encoding (CBHE) is not used in BPv7.

No matter the outcome, the WG and IESG are clear that existing IPN
registrations in the registry created in 7116 will be remain in any
new/renamed registry and therefore continue to be valid for
interoperable use with BPv7.

I would prefer not to "fork" the CBHE registry, and therefore prefer to
find an alternate way through the process.  But, however undesirable
having two possibly diverging registries may be, given the lack of
interoperability between BPv6 and BPv7, there would be no technical
issue with forking.

It should also be noted the Russ's concern was that ipn-update only
obsoletes some of RFC7116, and therefore an informational companion
document perhaps should exist to cover any other affected parts of
RFC7116, rather than the act of obsoleting 7116 per-se.

I believe CCSDS are currently updating LTP, and hence those sections of
RFC7116 may become out of date in some way.  Perhaps a CCSDS/LTP
contributor might step forwards to help update the rest of 7116?

Meanwhile, Zahed is taking the topic to the IESG to see if there is some
pragmatic way forwards.

Hope that helps?

Rick