Re: [Alldispatch] Tombstones, Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
Unless the plan is to have the tombstone contain text from the authors
explaining why they abandoned the draft (good luck with that), what
advantage would that have over the datatracker saying the draft is inactive?

It makes it harder to jump directly to the text of the draft without having
seen the notation about the draft's status.  (That is, if you start just
from a draft name or a version-less link, you get the tombstone; you'd need
to go straight to a version-specific link to skip it.)

When I go to the URL with the draft name and no version, I see the datatracker page that says Expired in a couple of places and has an ugly orange box that says in bold face "This Internet-Draft is no longer active."

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where someone fails to understand what that means and instead needs to download a file that also says "It's dead, Jim." What am I missing?

I suppose if you rsync the I-D directory you only see the drafts, but I'd think the overlap between people who are motivated enough to set up rsync and those don't understand how to check for expired or inactive would be rather small.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY