Update on the IT Infrastructure Transition Project

The next few weeks will bring the first services onto the new IT Infrastructure[1] and will include the migration to Mailman 3 in-place on the existing infrastructure.

­

The Mailman 3 migration will not disrupt list traffic - all lists and subscriptions will carry forward. The interaction with the web interface for individual subscription management and list management and moderation will change. Using the new web interface (Postorius) will be intuitive. There will be a step at first login where you will have to prove the ability to receive mail at the address you are logging in with, and at that point you will establish a new password. If you would like to see what this looks like, consider exploring the Python and Mailman lists themselves at, e.g., https://mail.python.org/mailman3/lists/python-announce-list.python.org/.

Our mail archives will not change. The archives will remain at https://mailarchive.ietf.org. We will not be using Mailman 3’s archiving interface (HyperKitty).

The author-tools.ietf.org and wiki.ietf.org webservices along with our Matomo-based analytics will transition first. This transition is expected to be uneventful (except for possibly a few minutes of downtime as final database transfers take place). I’ll send an update as each service moves.

YANG Catalog is in an intermediate state - it is not yet running on the long-term intended infrastructure - we are working out issues with initializing new instances and will finish its transition when that is complete.

There is more discussion captured during the recent Tools Team meeting [2].

RjS

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tools-discuss/jrM7qJhvPQHUgX1LGbWgHBBI2qU/

[2] https://notes.ietf.org/tools-team-20240109