Re: IAB Statement on Encryption and Mandatory Client-side Scanning of Content

Mark Nottingham <mnot@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> no one comes to the IETF or IAB to get a read on the human rights impacts of an action.

The statement said "undermine end-to-end encryption".

> This is an appeal to human rights impacts, not impact on the Internet infrastructure.

E2E is inherently disintermediating, whether the intermediary is a government or a commercial company. That changes the architecture of the Internet.

I think it's fine for the IAB to address the social arguments used to advocate for these encryption-weakening proposals. It happens every few years.*

thanks,
Rob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_chip