Re: [Last-Call] [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-qos-model-11

Dear authors of draft-ietf-rtgwg-qos-model,

I appreciate your work and I know, you have been active for years, to reach the current state. While going through your draft, I felt it to be complete if looked at as generic DiffServ functionality. Time passed since you started and some new RFCs related to AQM evolved, like

Codel, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8289

PIE, https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8033.html

or L4S,

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9332.html

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9331.html

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9330.html

My personal view is, draft-ietf-rtgwg-qos-model should progress now, and being looked at as a generic qos-model. New QoS related RFCs, but not part of draft-ietf-rtgwg-qos-model should be mentioned, but their inclusion left to a review.

One comment related to content:

I’d appreciate all burst-sizes and queue or buffer related configs, including RED/WRED thresholds, to be settable in units of time. That will be microseconds and milliseconds as an option. I think, this makes sense as technologies like Virtual Output Queueing are easier to operate and configure from a provider point of view, if buffer management is based on buffer occupation (which is often measured in units of time).

An editorial comment:

The draft can be improved on its formal sections, if it is reviewed by a native speaker, I think (and excuse, if I’m wrong).

I’m not a YANG expert.

Regards,

Ruediger