Re: [Ext] What can do IANA do and not do -XML

From: tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 29 November 2023 12:25
From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx>
Sent: 29 November 2023 11:28

<snip>

<tp>

Amanda
> I'm not sure whether experts and IANA are being conflated here or whether "IANA" is being used as shorthand for the registration process.

<tp>

Yes I am conflating but it is a question of shooting the bearer of bad news:-(

An I-D with a YANG module asks IANA for the registration of namespace and module (at least, it does after I have reviewed it - often the requests are absent in early drafts).  What the expert replies said in the cases I have in mind is that the YANG in the example in an Appendix does not conform to the rules of XML as per the body that specifies XML.  True, but irrelevant; the experts were expected to approve the requests in the Normative part of the I-D and they went beyond that IMHO and generated contentious discussions on lists such as Netmod.

I was hoping that IANA would have ruled such responses as out-of-scope but perhaps I hope for too much..

I think it right that IANA feeds such comments back to the WG list.  The I-D has WG consensus and any challenges to that need to be in the open and not being seen surreptitiously when the document appears as an RFC!  Sometimes the WG and expert reviewer cannot agree which is why we need WG Chairs, AD, IESG, IAB etc (but hopefully not very often).

Tom Petch