Re: What can do IANA do and not do

On Nov 24, 2023, at 21:31, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's why we have RFC2860 and the supplemental agreement.

Thanks; RFC 2860 is clear:

   4.1. The IANA will assign and register Internet protocol parameters
   only as directed by the criteria and procedures specified in RFCs,
   including Proposed, Draft and full Internet Standards and Best
   Current Practice documents, and any other RFC that calls for IANA
   assignment. […]

So RFC 2860 does provide for registries being created by informational RFCs, IETF stream or other.

Of course, the IESG can veto RFCs in certain streams; my next search will be for any IESG statements about registry creation in RFCs that are not standards-track or BCP.

Grüße, Carsten