Re: [Last-Call] [Iot-directorate] Iotdir telechat review of draft-ietf-cose-cwt-claims-in-headers-07

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

I have no opinion about this document, but enjoyed reading Hannes' review.

Hannes Tschofenig via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Even on a smaller scale (with the key id) this already creates problems
    > for developers of COSE / JOSE libraries because the layers get combined
    > and important security decisions are outsourced to the developer. We
    > know that developers, who use these libraries, are unable to make good
    > security decisions.

Are they unable, unwilling, or ignorant?
Should our specifications pessimistically coddle poor choices, or
optimistically aspire towards well designed software architectures?

I have to wonder if there are patterns (and anti-patterns) in library APIs
that support better decisions, or encourage worse decisions.  Are there
language features that are better/worse here?

I also wonder about the role of certifications (FIPS-140 specifically) that
seem to force developers into (ab)using less well designed libraries, or
prevent them from fixing libraries to suit their application needs.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-                      *I*LIKE*TRAINS*