PSA: Week of confusion

I already got my first meeting canceled today, so here is a public service announcement:

The *Week of Confusion* just started.

Europe already went back to Standard (Winter, non-DST) time on Sunday 2023-10-29.
The US and CA are going to stay on DST for another week, going to non-DST standard time on Sunday, 2023-11-05.

So the time zone offsets between EU and US, which are stable for ~49 weeks of the year, shift for this week:
E.g.: San Francisco (still PDT) now is 8 hours behind Berlin (now CET), not the usual 9.
(There will be three more weeks of confusion in the spring, between start of US DST 2024-03-10 and start of EU DST 2024-03-31 — again, only 8 hours between SFO and BER.)

If you have a periodic meeting this week, check whether it is anchored to US time (or world time, UTC), in which case the meeting starts one hour earlier than usual in EU, or whether it is anchored to EU time, in which case it starts one hour later than usual in the US.

The fall and spring IETF meetings and the weeks around those always touch the weeks of confusion, so we all have to be alert.  Use .ics files to announce meetings as much as possible, after verifying them...

Grüße, Carsten

(Apologies to everyone not living in the US/CA or EU — I didn’t want to make this message any longer with more cases, e.g., MX and much of Asia do not observe DST any more/at all, and AU/NZ of course switch the other way around, at different times (!).  And Europe has countries/regions without DST as well, e.g., Iceland or Moscow.)