Re: codes of conduct vs ethics and the truth

Dave Taht wrote:
On Sun, Oct 15, 2023 at 7:08 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
I initially applauded the concept of a code of conduct across most of
our profession, to improve diversity, and inclusion, and boiled down
essentially to "be nicer to each other".

The problem is, most of them, it seems, do not also include an
obligation to tell the truth. None, include prohibitions against
too-common rhetorical techniques like argumentum ad baculum, proof by
intimidation, thought terminating cliche’s, Single cause fallacies,
regression fallacies, proof by repeated assertion, and argument from
authority.

<snip>

Just the other day, I was reminded how codes of conduct have replaced "how to ask good question" posts, on a lot of technical lists.  Somehow, "be nice, be kind" is not really helpful when it comes to solving problems, or design review.  Sometimes "back to the drawing board," or "come back when you've done your homework and have a clue", or "that's just plain moronic" are appropriate feedback.

Maybe it comes from spending too much time on Quora - being disgusted by all the clueless questions, and the even more wrongheaded responses - as evidence of a general decline in the availability & quality of educational & career guidance. The world needs more drill instructors, not more nannies & apologists for the intellectually & morally lazy.

</rant>

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown