Re: Errata not included - process failure?

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 08:41:58AM +0000, tom petch wrote:
> I just commented on a Last Call that the I-D is nonsense!

You mean to say you noticed a mistake in 1 of the 7 updates the I-D
proposes to the IANA managed BMP group registries?

> The I-D updates the IANA Considerations of an RFC.  Trouble is, part
> of the IANA Considerations were fundamentally changed by an Erratum
> rendering part of the I-D a nonsense.  The I-D is
> draft-ietf-grow-bmp-registries-change-03 the RFC is 7854 section 10.8,
> the erratum is  7194.
>
> Obviously this has been missed by the authors, missed at adoption,
> missed at WGLC, missed at AD Review.

For context: the Errata was not missed at WG adoption because the Errata
didn't exist yet back then. The Errata also didn't exist yet when WGLC
happened. AD Review has yet to take place.

Thankfully you caught this oversight in IETF Last Call.

> IANA acted on the erratum and the IANA web site correctly reflects it.

Great, the errata process too works!

> I am thinking that the Shepherd Writeup chould include a question as
> to whether, when an RFC is being updated, any Errata to the RFC have
> been taken into consideration.

Yes, excellent suggestion to update the template to mention Errata.

> I note that the RFC Editor provides a version of the RFC with Errata
> included and highlighted so the check can be carried out fairly
> easily.

Yes.

Kind regards,

Job