Re: External overlap [Re: Proposal for Consolidating Parts of the ART & TSV Areas]

It's fine to pile up on the other SDO but I think this is a false
argument. X.25 carried forward in the ITU bis/ter process wouldn't
look like it did "then" it would look much more like something which
worked adequately in gigabit networks, and we'd be using high speed
comms pretty much the way we do because the fundamentals here are the
same, no matter what the underlying substrate.

I'm more concerned that we were going to variable length addresses in
CLNP. John Scudder's presentation to IEPG a while back stressed that
variability in the front part of a packet was anathema to fast path
processing in the FPGA, you want constant shape headers to process
them quickly. I think we'd have had to settle on fixed length
addresses pretty quickly.

You need a datagram model, you need a connection model, you need flow
control, windows and sessions. X.25 was mired in HDLC links, it
reflected the times. We're not in those times.

Speaking of sessions, In reality, I feel QUIC is closer to the ISO
reference session layer than a transport, and a remarkably good fit
for X.400 on top.  I don't have a problem with X.400, there are days I
think that X.25 aside, it might have been better for us all if we'd
adopted it rather than sticking to SMTP.

=G