Level 0 moderation for uncivil commentary

At Lloyd's request, we are publishing to the list our level 0 message to him, below.

If you have views on the appropriateness of this action, or the definition from which it arises [4], please let us know. The current Moderators team are Chris Box, Mohit Tahiliani and Mary Barnes. We can be collectively reached at moderators@xxxxxxxx.

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Your message to the IETF list
Date: 2023-09-14 13:58
From: Moderators <moderators@xxxxxxxx>
To: lloyd.wood@xxxxxxxxx

Lloyd,

I am writing to you on behalf of the Moderators team for ietf@xxxxxxxx. This message has been vetted with others on the Moderators team, which is described in more detail at [1] and [2].

We are reaching out to you because of your recent message to ietf@xxxxxxxx [3]. The message contained the following language:

the racist bully Dan Harkins

which the Moderators team considers uncivil commentary [4] for personally attacking someone, by name-calling. Whether you meant it ironically or genuinely, it is still associating two pejorative terms with a person. Please try to avoid using this kind of language on ietf@xxxxxxxx in the future. We are happy to discuss suggestions for how to convey the same message in an appropriate way if you would like to discuss that.

If your point is that other people are accusing Dan of racism and bullying, it would be appropriate to link to those assertions. We are aware that that last year the IESG initiated a posting rights restriction on Dan for expressing racism, as they considered it. You could refer to that action if needed.

We consider this an initial suggestion. We do not believe your message is part of a pattern of abuse that would warrant the restriction of your posting rights. If we see such a pattern emerge, we will get back in touch with you to suggest that you voluntarily take a break from posting to the list.

If you wish for us to make this message public, please let us know and we will re-send it with ietf@xxxxxxxx on cc.

Thanks,
Chris Box on behalf of the Moderators team for ietf@xxxxxxxx

[1] https://www.ietf.org/how/lists/discussion/