Re: Proposal for Consolidating Parts of the ART & TSV Areas

If IESG is working on getting out of the moderation business, and (hopefully also) out of the business of telling moderators what to do, I think that's a promising step, and I'm happy to learn that.

Who does set the policy for moderation? A new WG ?
I don't know what people have in mind for these, so I won't try to speculate.
How would it fare differently than past discussion on this list where a handful of very loud people yell CENSORSHIP and the majority of people want better moderation (or gave up and left the list) ? In other words, I’m pretty sure you’d be in the rough on this topic. But perhaps that’s good to formalize with a WG.
I don't think you're in a position to characterize a discussion that hasn't happened yet.  For the moment, what I'll observe is that when any IESG chair or moderators make up rules on their own, that's a really good way for them to be arbitrary and to impose their own prejudices (deliberate or accidental) on the entire group.    So I have a lot more confidence in a process that actually tries to develop consensus and where the process manager (presumably a WG chair) is supposed to be neutral and to make sure that a variety of perspectives are aired.

As for me, I've always said that I have no problem with rules as long as they're reasonably unambiguous (not relying on vague words like "professional" that are basically appeals to prejudices and preconceptions) and vetted by IETF consensus.    What I don't like at all is when moderators make up rules on their own, as they are doing now.

From my perspective, most of the hostility and unpleasantness has been caused or at least exacerbated by recent IETF Chairs, their appointees, and sometimes by members of IESG.

  I have more confidence in the organization when the community believes it is empowered to provide input, and believes that IESG listens to that input

You seem to be accusing the IESG of not listening to the community by pretending you are speaking for the community.
No, I'm quite clearly speaking for myself.  Please don't put words in my mouth.

I am not. It is the only logical conclusion of your sentence above.
False, and I find your accusation to be inexcusably insulting.

What you can authoritatively say is that Keith would have more confidence and would feel more empowered if Keith believed the IESG would listen to him. That is a statement I would agree with. Your statement however, lacks being actually representative of the community.

My own statement was clearer and more precise.

It was not. It states that the community is assumed to believe it is not empowered by the current leadership. I merely clarified that to be just your personal (misguided) view.
It does not state that at all.

Keith