Re: [Last-Call] [Ext] Dnsdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc8499bis-09

Thanks for your review!

On Aug 28, 2023, at 1:24 AM, James Gannon via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Section 1:
> Personal Preference: The intro section seems to be a little unfocused, if you
> take another pass at the document I would suggest tightening it down to the
> doc's goal more succinctly.

I agree that the introduction has now strayed beyond "what are the goals of this document", but the other things there were added at the request of the WG (mostly in RFC 7719 or 8499) and should be seen before you read the body of the document. I don't think adding a sub-section 1.1 would make it much better.

> Section 2:  Context for resolving a name: The global DNS root zone distributed
> by PTI. - This line seems to be very light compared to others

It is, because we wanted to be as succinct as possible on this contentious topic. If you have suggested text for a helpful expansion that doesn't cause too much grief in the WG, that would be great.

> Suggestion: This kind of document would work well in a more dynamic format
> similar to some of the work being done on updating the IETF Tao, something to
> potentially consider post-publishing.

Humorous side-note: I was the person who spearheaded moving the Tao to a web site. It was ultimately useful, but the process engendered strongly-held design opinions from a surprisingly wide audience. I would not recommend to anyone...

--Paul Hoffman