Re: The IETF's email mess [was: RE: Large messages to 6man list]

Hi,

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are we going to tackle this mess?

Why? I use GMail, Fastmail, and many other good services.

It is true that messages from people using some command line client appear a bit strange to me. I've learned to recognize it.

I think Hamlet applies: "Hoist with his own petard". The IETF is responsible here.

But, email messages now use a bizarre dialect of HTML, because they can't assume the context present in a web page (anything from global CSS to the trust anchor).

IMHO, it is going to gradually improve as Web technology becomes more modular and secure, and there is nothing the IETF can do.

thanks,
Rob