Re: Appeal: IESG Statement on Guidance on In-Person and Online Interim Meetings

Martin,

--On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 14:28 -0700 Martin Duke
<martin.h.duke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John,
>
> (1) and (2) the text specifically says.
>
> When considering whether to approve a hybrid interim, Area
> Directors (ADs) are expected to balance these downsides with
> the expected benefits. I'm not sure how you got from there to
> the idea that these are called without AD approval.

I also didn't say that about hybrids.  But (1) was strictly
about online interims.   And the first bullet there, from which
I partially quoted, reads:

	"The meetings are scheduled by the working group chairs,
	who should discuss their plans with the responsible area
	director well before any announcements need to be made."

I cannot get from "should discuss" to a requirement for AD
approval.  Indeed, I cannot even get to a firm requirement for
the discussion.

For (2) and hybrid meetings I agree that there is a requirement
for AD approval meetings.  The text actually says that more than
once and I don't believe I said anything to the contrary.   My
concern there was about how much approval an AD needed to make
(or the level of involvement the AD was expected to have) in a
regular series of meetings.

> (3) I thought maybe we had misused the word, but:
> adjective
>
>    1.
>
>    of, relating to, or belonging as a part of the whole;
> constituent or    component:integral parts.
>    2.
>
>    necessary to the completeness of the whole:This point is
> integral to his    plan.
>
> I don't see how it's false at all when using the first
> definition.

We could quibble about the statement under the first definition,
but it would definitely be false if interpreted the second way.
At the risk of being facetious, using the first definition, a
statement that "Cookies of any type are integral to the IETF way
of working" would also be true... and the community has spent
far more time discussing, consuming, and evaluating cookies than
we have done, or been allowed to do, over interim meetings, at
least since 2418 was published.  This may go to my
interpretation of one of Rich's points, which is that the
document is not very well written.  If it were a draft for an
RFC, I'd expect the RPC to question that usage.

> (4) Are you suggesting that the IESG unilaterally impose
> limits on the frequency of interim meetings? I can't discern
> any other proposed action from this portion of the appeal.

No.  I am suggesting that responsible ADs be both empowered and
expected to engage with the WG and its leadership when the WG
wants to schedule many interim meetings and ones that are
regularly scheduled long in advance, considering whether those
meetings are likely to become, or are becoming, a substitute for
discussions (not just approval of decisions) on mailing lists.
I note that, if a WG schedules an interim meeting months in
advance (even by virtue of a prescheduled sequences of them), it
is impossible to know whether the need for such a meeting is
actually rooted in the criteria outlined in the document.  I am
suggesting that, if WGs reach the point where they are
substituting interim meetings for mailing list discussions (and
that includes making "are you ok with what was decided at the
interim" requests to the mailing list), that the ADs should push
back, possibly even no allowing future interims for the WG until
the behavior is correct.  That said, I also believe that ADs
should be accountable for the behavior, openness, and
inclusiveness of their WGs at least after participants call
apparent problems to their attention.  I gather the current IESG
no longer believes that, but that is another reason why
"statements" like this should be subject to community review and
approval.

> (5) The chairs of a Working Group approached the LLC for
> Letters of Invitation. The IESG thought it would be more
> user-friendly than "go publish an RFC to make us give you
> one," but I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

As you noted in your follow-up message, I explicitly exempted
the LoI issue.  That was partially because I consider it to lie
very close to the IETF-LLC boundary and do not believe that this
type of statement should get intertwined with that.  However, my
real (5) was that the guidelines, positions, and procedures
described in this statement should be developed and approved by
the community, not proclaimed by the IESG without community
consultation.  That issue is particularly important because the
appeal from Ted Hardie and Alan Frindell that was discussed at
the July plenary addressed essentially the same point about
community involvement about guidelines of this sort.  That
appeal, as I read it, reflects positions about meeting mechanics
and draws on RFC 8718.  My concerns are more about meeting
approval, community awareness of interim meetings, the balance
between interim meetings and mailing lists and draws on RFC
2418, issues that I raised as possibly being treated as part of
the Hardie-Frindell appeal a week before the plenary.

I don't know how to make non-response to a "recognized" appeal
part of another appeal, but it feels to me to be really
inappropriate for the IESG, with an appeal in front of it about
the process used to create and promulgate an earlier version of
these guidelines and the lack of community involvement for that
version to turn around and issue a new version of the
guidelines, apparently without addressing those issues in any
way.  If there is some urgent problem that causes you to believe
that the first appeal should be deferred, then I believe the
community deserves a better explanation of those circumstances
than "The IESG has issued a Statement...".

Rich suggested withdrawing this statement pending community
feedback.  Ted and Alan suggested withdrawing the earlier
version until after community involvement.  I don't know how far
back you would need to withdraw statements to get things to a
stable state, but we should, IMO, be looking forward at how to
get active community involvement and consensus around guidelines
of this sort, modifying 2814 if needed rather trying to
reinterpret or expand it by IESG internal decisions.

best
   john