Re: [Last-Call] [Jsonpath] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-jsonpath-base-16

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 2:44 PM Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3. Aug 2023, at 22:33, Tim Bray <tbray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> where’s the guidance on when/when-not to use them?”  It really does feel like something is missing. Is there nothing useful that we could say?

This is a bit like guidance on when to say 3 + 6 and when (3 + 6) — or maybe when to say 3 + 3 * 2 and when 3 + (3 * 2).

That's a good analogue. If I understand correctly, I think the draft should say that older versions required them where this draft does not, but that they may still help in editing and reading of complex expressions.

A good example from the past is "JSLint"*, by Douglas Crockford. He resisted requiring break statements in switches, as they were not strictly required. But, of course, JSLint itself ended up having such a bug.

thanks,
Rob

https://www.jslint.com