Re: Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

On Jul 31, 2023, at 7:12 AM, John Curran <jcurran@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the case of an actual valid public policy obligation of governments and conflict with optimum encryption, what should occur?

That’s not a useful way to phrase the question.   In general it is impossible for governments to perfectly meet their perceived obligations.   So the question is better phrased as one of balance of harm - which choices result in less overall harm in the long term?  (*)

The “long term” part is essential because adversaries of privacy will find more and more ways to exploit shortcomings in privacy technologies over time, just as they have done with existing Internet technologies that were supposedly designed to preserve privacy (JavaScript and cookies come to mind, and despite recent improvements, so does TLS.).

Keith

(*) at least, this is the best phrasing I’ve come up with, so far.