Re: [Last-Call] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-teas-ietf-network-slices-21

Hi Dirk,

> Since on p.3 scope is limited to network technologies described
> and standardized by the IETF, I would omit on p.4 mentioning
> 'optical' and mayde replace by L3VPN or other IETF network
> technology.

This is a good observation, but I don't think a change is needed for this example :-)

The framework intends to cover generally what is called outside the IETF "transport domain" or "transport network". Optical network are part of those. FYI, an instantiation of this framework in OTN can be for example in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-yang-otn-slicing/.

You may then argue that then call these "IETF *"?

I would agree that "IETF network slice" is a little bit misleading but is this a blocking point to digest the concept? FYI, the WG spent too many cycles on that single terminology point. I was among those in favor of avoiding calling this "IETF *" and proposed at the time "connectivity network slice", but the call of the WG was to proceed with the "IETF" in the name. I don't think that we need to reopen that discussion again.

I leave this to Adrian, but if this helps we may consider the following:

OLD:
   An IETF Network Slice is a logical partition of a network
   that uses IETF technology.

NEW:
   An IETF Network Slice is a logical partition of a network
   that uses mainly IETF technology. Other technologies from other SDOs
   (e.g., IEEE, ITU) may be combined with IETF technologies for the realization
   Of a Network Slice.

Cheers,
Med

Thank you.