Re: RFC 8252 [Process and reviews]

On 7/10/23 13:14, Rob Wilton (rwilton) wrote:

I think that it is also somewhat hard for ADs in other areas to override (i.e., put a blocking DISCUSS) for a security issue on a document coming out of the SEC area.  I.e., it would have been clear that the experts in the area (i.e., the two SEC ADs) were okay with this being published.  I can’t speak for the SEC ADs at the time, but my general experience whilst I have been on the IESG is that the SEC ADs have always been quite strict on what they will (or will not) accept from a security perspective.

I would like to encourage everyone on IESG to vote DISCUSS on any issue from any area that they have a concern about.  That's what DISCUSSes are for.   I understand that there is sometimes a sense of pressure on ADs to "go along with" WG activities from certain areas.  But cross-area review is essential and IETF itself is not well-structured to facilitate it.  This unfortunately leaves ADs in other areas as the only people outside those areas who read the documents before approval.  And sometimes one area's agenda is not always best for the Internet as a whole.

Keith