Re: RFC 8252

On 06-Jul-23 04:52, Keith Moore wrote:

On 7/5/23 07:03, Roman Danyliw wrote:

The point is that Oauth is inadequate.  We need something different.

I read the point as being that (in Michael's opinion) the IESG didn't do its job when reviewing RFC8252. That seems like a valid topic for this list, although of course it is years too late and an appeal at the time the draft was approved would have been the only recourse available.

The most baffling thing to me is that it does seem like at least 2 IESG members did their job but filed a "No Objection" anyway. The entire BCP seems to live and die by the premise that bad guys should be good. And where were the security AD's in all of this? Where were the chairs? How can something so obvious to non-security AD's in IESG review not be caught well before something comes up for last call? The adult supervision seems to have completely failed.

What's the most concerning is that using OAUTH for SSO is getting very common these days and could very easily be exploited with extremely bad results for high value authenticators. Essentially, IETF is legitimizing a BCP that is open to phishing attacks at its base. That is terrifying.

Mike, I sure hope no bad guys are tuned in here