Re: AD review delays

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 8:24 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

RFC8289 and RFC8290 sat in queue for 2 years. To resolve that problem we (The authors) sent the responsible person:

Cookies
A wrist supporter
Bungie Cords

It worked.

So, I'm trying to understand where this went so wrong.
I note that you said "the responsible person" and not "the responsible AD", and I'm trying to understand if that is intentional.

Looking at RFC8290, it looks like:
2016-02-14 - IESG process started in state Publication Requested
2016-02-28 - IESG state changed to AD Evaluation from Publication Requested
2016-03-01 - IESG state changed to AD Evaluation::Revised I-D Needed from AD Evaluation
2016-03-03 - IESG state changed to Last Call Requested from AD Evaluation::AD Followup
[18 days from Publication Requested to IETF LC]

2016-03-17 - IESG state changed to Waiting for AD Go-Ahead from In Last Call
2016-03-17 - IESG state changed to Approved-announcement to be sent::Point Raised - writeup needed from IESG Evaluation
[ 14 days from end of IETF LC to Approved, Point Raised. ]

2016-04-03 - IESG state changed to Approved-announcement to be sent.
[ 17 days from Point Raised until approved. This included waiting for the SecDir review to time out ]
[ Total from PubReq to Approved: 49 days. This includes 4 weeks of IETF LC ]
It then spent 2 years, 7 months stuck in MISSREF state, probably waiting on 8289? It looks like RFC8289 only entered PubReq on 2016-11-01, 229 days later.

So, looking at RFC8289:
2016-11-01 - IESG process started in state Publication Requested
2016-12-22 - New version available: draft-ietf-aqm-codel-06.txt
2017-03-12 - New version available: draft-ietf-aqm-codel-07.txt
2017-03-13 - IESG state changed to Last Call Requested from Publication Requested
[132 days from PubReq to IETF LC — but the document had 2 new version posted during this time, presumably because the AD review requested some changes. ]

2017-03-13 - IESG state changed to In Last Call from Last Call Requested
2017-04-13 - IESG state changed to Approved-announcement to be sent::Revised I-D Needed
[ 30 from IETF LC till Approved, revised ID needed ]

2017-09-11 - New version available: draft-ietf-aqm-codel-08.txt.
2017-09-29 - New version available: draft-ietf-aqm-codel-09.txt
2017-10-13  - New version available: draft-ietf-aqm-codel-10.txt
[  days from the IETF LC version (07) to the approved version (10) ]

2017-10-16 - IESG state changed to Approved-announcement sent
[ 3 days from new version to Approved ]

2017-12-13 - RFC Editor state changed to AUTH48 from RFC-EDITOR
[ 58 days from Approved to AUTH48 ]

2018-01-04 - RFC Editor state changed to AUTH48-DONE
[ 22 days in AUTH48 ]
[ Total from PubReq to Approved: 339 ]

From this (very imperfect) archeology, it looks like the document spent much of this 339 days waiting on new versions (132 days from PubReq to IETF LC + 183 days from Approved-announcement to be sent::Revised I-D Needed to the Approved version = 315).

Now, I have no idea (and cannot be bothered to go read the list :-P ) in whose court the ball spent all of that time, but it doesn't really look like the AD was the long pole in the tent here.

Yes, 735 days is a ridiculously long time from when draft-ietf-aqm-fq-codel entered the sausage making machine until it emerged as an RFC… but 229 days of that seem to be because it was normatively referencing another document which hadn't entered the IESG, and then another ~300 days seem to have been waiting on authors of that referenced document….