Re: [Last-Call] [Sedate] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended-08

Hi Edward!

On 13/06/2023 10:48, Edward Welbourne wrote:
All good points.  I'll add: the Unicode Consortium's Common Locale Data
Repository [CLDR] supplies date formats for locales, using format
strings defined as part of the Locale Data Mark-up Language (LDML) whose
list of date patterns [Date] does include entries for the zone, in
various forms.  Liaising with them about how to represent sedate's zone
annotations, plus calendar annotations, might make some sense, although
it's not strictly relevant until some locale (typically a culture or its
officialdom) starts using them; but perhaps en_US@POSIX is the locale
that'll start that.  Their list of zone formats may also be a good place
to start for suggestions for how to fit this into strptime/strftime's
format language.

Thanks for pointing this out, we have a similar approach where we provide a "DateTimeFormat" API built on top of CLDR (many implementations use ICU) in order to format objects represented by this format. Further information regarding our approach as well as the correlation between both string representations can be found at https://tc39.es/proposal-temporal/docs/strings.html.

Best,
Ujjwal

--
Ujjwal "Ryzokuken" Sharma (he/him)