Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-httpapi-link-template-02

Hi Mark,

>>> S 1.1: "This specification uses the following terms from
>>> [STRUCTURED-FIELDS]: List, String, Parameter."
>>
>> Yes. But, in Section 3.1.2 of [STRUCTURED-FIELDS] there is no
>> restriction that the Parameter value must by String. My question is
>> why you are making that restriction, instead of just allowing the
>> different Parameter value encodings defined in [STRUCTURED-FIELDS]?
>
> Ah. The reason is that allowing any type would require creating a mapping of
> current values to SF types, and there
> are just too many potential (and undocumented) values already in use to do
> this.

I don't think that is true. Just because the Parameter syntax allows values to
be encoded sf-string, sf-token, sf-boolean etc it doesn't mean that you have
to map each value (existing or new ones) to each of those encodings. If a
value is defined as a String, then it has to be encoded as a sf-string.

Having said that, I'm fine with having the restriction, because in reality I
assume the values always will have to be encoded as sf-strings anyway (you
can't encode a URI as a sf-integer, sf-boolean etc).

Thanks!

Regards,

Christer