Re: [Last-Call] Dnsdir last call review of draft-ietf-add-dnr-15

Hi David,

Thank you for the review.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] Done.  Please see https://tinyurl.com/latest-dnr-changes

> Additionally, "ADN-only" might be helpful to put in the list of terms.
> This term is used less often, but it is repeated far enough away from
> section 3.1.6 to possibly be helpful in section 2.

[Med] Done. See the diff.

> I don't really want to suggest that you change the various option
> formats, but as a DNS person, I had an observation about them.
>
> * The "ADN length" should not be necessary as wire-format DNS
> names are actually length encoded.

[Med] Agree. We considered this in the past, but we are trying to not deviate from the guidelines set by the WGs that owns the protocols we are using. Please see, e.g., https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/add/8bFZgNdS9vVy7PBYuUwXhBFAAa4/.

  Providing the ADN length does,
> however, allow a parser to skip over the name without parsing the
> ADN itself which may be useful.
* The "ADN length" doesn't need to
> be 16-bits, and it isn't in the
> DHCPv4 format.  It is a little curious that the length of this field differs
> across the different option implementations.

[Med]  This is to be consistent with the usage in DHCPv6.

> Beyond that, I just had some language nits:
>
> In section 3:
>
> > This document describes how a DNS client can discover local
> encrypted
> > DNS
> resolvers using DHCP (Sections 4 and 5) and Neighbor Discovery
> protocol (Section 6): Encrypted DNS options.
>
> This seems odd. I think this sentence could just end after "(Section 6)".

[Med] I prefer to leave the text as it is. The sentences right after refers to these options.

> In section 3.2.1:
>
> > To avoid adding a dependency on another server to resolve the ADN,
> the
> Encrypted DNS options return the IP address(es) to locate the
> encrypted DNS resolver. These encrypted DNS resolvers may be
> hosted on the same or distinct IP addresses. Such a decision is
> deployment specific.
>
> I found this wording of the 2nd sentence hard to follow.  Hard enough
> to follow that I don't know what is trying to be said.  Maybe the 2nd
> and 3rd sentences could just be deleted?

[Med] The main message is that the resolvers returned in Encrypted DNS options may share the same IP address or have dedicated IP addresses.

> In section 3.1.6:
>
> Why is there a block quote here?  What is it quoting?

[Med] This is an aside element as per rfc7991.html#section-2.6:

   This element is a container for content that is semantically less
   important or tangential to the content that surrounds it.

> In section 3.1.8:
>
> > The ADN is present and encoded as per Section 10 of [RFC8415].
>
> In addition to providing the RFC reference, one could also describe the
> encoding as "uncompressed DNS wire format."

[Med] That is covered in RFC8415. I prefer to leave the current wording. Thanks.

Thank you.