Re: [Last-Call] [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-alt-tld-22.txt> (The ALT Special Use Top Level Domain) to Proposed Standard

Hi Martin and Mark,

I think you're off-base here, so much so that I can't tell if you're serious. It's a cultural issue, not a technical one.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt.*_hierarchy

l don't want to read any of those Usenet groups, but they do exist. This is just a way of framing such things in direction-switching URLs, rather than the coherent Usenet naming system.

I think it's fine, and I don't care.

thanks,
Rob

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 3:59 PM Martin Thomson <mt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 14, 2023, at 09:44, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I do wonder whether 'alt' is appropriate -- 'alternative' begs the
> question of 'alternative to what?' and the answer is a technical detail
> that most Internet users are blissfully unaware of. It seems to me that
> it'd be better to choose something meaningful to users.

I still don't know why ".arc" never got off the ground.  An expansion of "alternative resolution context" addresses the DNS-centric perspective; the word implies OIDs, which interesting properties; and, who can resist the homonym, especially when there is Ark B [1].

[1] https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Golgafrinchan_Ark_Fleet_Ship_B