Re: [Last-Call] Dnsdir last call review of draft-ietf-masque-connect-ip-08

Hi Miek,

Thanks for your comments. As to your two questions:

> Should the IP proxy care about the TTL of the looked up name?

I believe the answer to this one should be "no". It is fairly well established that clients are permitted to have long-running connections that exceed the DNS TTL, and that is something that DNS-based loadbalancers have to handle. HTTP2 (RFC 9113) made HTTP connections much longer-lived, and I don't see any discussion of TTLs there. Implementations are, of course, free to consult the TTL and reconnect more frequently, but I don't think that is something that we need to require in this draft, as ultimately TTLs only control DNS caching.

> Should the IP Proxy do a DNSSEC lookup or a plain DNS lookup

I believe this is another area where the proxy should use the system configuration. If the local resolver respects DNSSEC, then the proxy would also respect DNSSEC. It is certainly an interesting potential future extension to be considered to allow clients to ask the proxy to require DNSSEC for DNS resolution, but not something I think we need to address in the base draft.

Sincerely,
-Alex