Call for nominations for IETF NomCom Chair, 2023-2024

Dear colleagues,

I write in my capacity as President of the Internet Society.

This message is a request for nominations for the Chair of the NomCom
for the 2023-2024 NomCom.  PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE LIST.  Send
Subject: NomCom Chair 2023 will help automatic handling of your mail
so that it does not get lost.  I attempted to set the Reply-To header,
but I don't know the current handling of that on the mailing list.

This request is being made in accordance with the procedure outlined
in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sullivan-nomcom-chair-select/.
The draft is expired, but the procedure I will use is unaltered since
last time (nobody sent me any comments on the draft, so I haven't
updated it).

BCP 10, RFC 8713 details the operation of the IETF Nominating and
Recall Committees. Section 4.5 of that document requires me to select
the Chair.

A Chair must meet the qualifications to be a NomCom volunteer:

	• Must have attended at least three of the last five IETF meetings
       (for the current purposes, the way this will be interpreted is
       the same as any other case under the virtual format that has
       prevailed for the last couple years, or possibly according to
       the rules outlined in
       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-elegy-rfc8989bis/
       in caser that is approved).

	• Must provide their full name, email address, and primary company
       or organization affiliation

	• Must be familiar with the IETF processes and procedures

	• Must not be serving on the Internet Society Board of Trustees,
       the IETF Trust, the IETF LLC Board of Directors, the IAB, or the
       IESG (this includes those who serve on these bodies in ex officio
       positions)

	• Must not be an employee or contractor of the IETF LLC

The full set of requirements is available in BCP 10, sections 4.14 and
4.15; if BCP 10 is updated by
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-elegy-rfc8989bis/, then
the new section 4.14 prevails.

The commitment is for two years, because each year's Chair becomes the
Past Chair of the next NomCom.

A Chair will need to have adequate time to dedicate to this job.
Experience suggests that the position requires a lot of attention
after the second IETF meeting of the year through the third meeting of
the year, with work letting up after all the selections are done and
announced (generally around the beginning of the next calendar
year). Candidates who can affirm the availability of time and (if
appropriate) employer support, will be preferred, but the inability to
make such an affirmation right now does not disqualify a candidate.

Successful Chairs always have considerable experience in the IETF, and
many past Chairs have served in at least one NomCom in some capacity
(not necessarily as voting volunteers).

Given the ongoing pandemic, this call does not require that Chair
candidates need to travel. Preference may be given to candidates who
indicate a willingness and capacity to travel if it is necessary and
desirable, but candidates who cannot or will not travel will not be
disqualified.

The Chair has several critical duties.  These are laid out in BCP 10,
particularly section 4.4 but also throughout the document. Overall the
Chair needs to guide the NomCom to success, and needs to operate the
selection process for Members. This requires the use of some tools,
which currently are apparently largely designed to run in a UNIX or
Linux environment.  Other parts of the job require a significant
amount of manual handling and therefore may be prone to errors.

Anyone who accepts a nomination is required to agree to the following:

	I accept the nomination for NomCom Chair, and affirm that the
	President of the Internet Society may disclose my name as a
	candidate for NomCom Chair to anyone the President, in his sole
	judgement, believes may provide useful information regarding my
	suitability as Chair.

Nominations are encouraged by anyone of any eligible candidate.
Self-nominations are also encouraged. Self-nominations will need to
make an explicit affirmation of the required agreement above; this may
be provided along with the self-nomination if desired.  Nominations by
someone other than the nominee will be confirmed with the nominee, and
will require a similar explicit agreement to the above statement.

Please note that I will not consider anyone who is not nominated under
this process, so if you want someone to be the next Chair you will
need to nominate that person!

This call for nominations closes at 23:59 UTC on 24 March 2023.
Please share this call as widely as you like, including in any working
groups where you think potential candidates may be!

Best regards,

Andrew
--
Andrew Sullivan