Re: [Last-Call] [Manycouches] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-shmoo-remote-fee-05

Jay,

Thanks for the reading and careful comments.  I'd like to, very
briefly, stress four things in case they were not clear:

(1) With the possible exception of my concerns about observers
(with or without further subdivisions), I do not believe that
any meeting-at-a-time decisions, procedures, or actions in this
area taken so far are improper, unreasonable, or inappropriate.

(2) I was trying to express the opinion that the issues raised
in Parts II and III were in need of further, and broader,
discussion.  I did not intend to present anything that should be
taken as a final position, much less the position of the
community (see (4) below).

(3) To the extent to which the SHMOO WG, and the IETF more
generally, feel a need to establish and document principles,
rather than relying on the IESG, the LLC, or other processes to
make sequences of relatively short term decisions without such
guidance, the comments I made were intended to be about those
principles.   Whether developing such principles is actually
worthwhile and meaningful and, in particular, whether there is a
tradeoff between effort spent developing them and making
progress on the IETF's technical work and how that tradeoff is
best balanced are separate questions, ones I deliberately did
not raise in my review.

(4) I think we all need to be very careful about how we use the
term(or claim) "IETF Consensus" or terms that can reasonably be
taken as equivalent to it.  As I understand the IETF and its
principles, there is one, and only one, way in which IETF
consensus is determined.  That involves a formal IETF Last Call
issued by the IESG, responses on the designated mailing list,
and an IESG determination based on those responses. Other
discussions, responses to consultations, discussions within
working groups, surveys, hums at plenaries, etc., may give
useful indications of how some portions of the community feel
about particular issues but they do not count as IETF Consensus.
No matter how many people participate in those other methods of
assessing opinion, there is neither a statistical demonstration
nor an IETF consensus principle that allows them to be treated
as sufficiently representative of the community to be a
substitute for IETF Consensus.

best,
   john

--On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 12:03 +0000 Jay Daley