Re: [saag] [Pearg] Ten years after Snowden (2013 - 2023), is IETF keeping its promises?

Hi Phil,

To be fair, while nation states constrain what is allowable, there an array of other constraints in play which are perhaps even more forceful.  They include what the marketplace will support or allow; what industry groups will support or allow; what legal systems will allow or support, especially relating to competition policy and normative obligations.  Consider what will occur if Sec. 230 disappears.

My sense is that few IETF participants have a sense of what is ensuing through the new EU legislation as the new regulations and directives begin to come into force in 2023.  The free-for-all days of TCP/IP disruptive services and providers layered on top of other networks without controls or encumbrances will be coming to an end.  The secondary effect will be to diminish the IETF's already diminished value proposition.  On the other hand, it will not stop people who engage in the IETF for the personal pleasure obtained there.   It is perhaps ironically a bit like the new U.S. Congress.

--tony