Re: [hrpc] [Pearg] [saag] Ten years after Snowden (2013 - 2023), is IETF keeping its promises?

I want to thank Brad for looking beyond the technology and to point out that safety and human rights _must not_ be framed as a dichotomy.

The human rights perspective is, IMHO, about inalienable rights whereas safety is almost always a matter of cost and compromise. When a human rights consideration raises safety issues in the context of a specific protocol, it's the role of the HRPC section of that protocol specification to clearly identify the safety concern and suggest mitigations for that safety concern. The mitigations might be costly or might force changes to the protocol late in the RFC process but because human rights are unalienable, there's no choice but for that protocol workgroup to do the work.

Simply put, ten years after Snowden, it's up to us to help all IETF add an HRPC section along the privacy and security sections to _every_ specification. If there's no HRPC, a protocol can simply just state that.

Adrian