Re: [hrpc] [saag] [Pearg] Ten years after Snowden (2013 - 2023), is IETF keeping its promises?

> On Jan 6, 2023, at 1:44 AM, Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 1:59 PM Tony Rutkowski <trutkowski.netmagic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> With NIS2 coming now coming into force, and the CRA being finalized, sorting out some of the threats is underway, although there are now 50 relevant EU Directives and 55 EU Regulations in force with 16 coming into force in 2023 at present count...plus an assortment of Decisions and Resolutions that all effect electronic communication mandates.  Most of them have extraterritorial application.  In the real world, there are many competing requirements, and as Meta recently found out, with significant adverse consequences for non-compliance.  It is worth noting that while this list resides in the IETF domain, there are several hundred standards bodies - many of which are far larger, encompassing more of industry, and more relevant than the IETF.  So to borrow a Clint Eastwood phrase, a venue has got to know its limitations.
>

> IMHO, any business has no limitations in all markets as long it is legal (i.e. within market policy), so IETF Business/Work can grow only if we don't worry about limitations and don't worry about competitors within our markets/worlds. The *real world* (e.g. including markets) is trying to become real+virtual_world, so now the World is changing its work_limitations and work_structure, and it is directing toward IP technologies. So that makes other standard_bodies limited also, and that makes IETF expand.

Right, the TAM for a business can be large and a business can expand into other markets..

But, a business is limited by its resources, talent, structure and opportunity. The world is full of business failures that didn’t take such limitations into account.

The IETF doesn’t have regulatory authority, doesn’t operate certification programs and doesn’t have a logo program so it is limited in how it can compel product makers to implement security and privacy. Seems like our strength is in creating and publishing protocol designs that provide very good security and privacy.

Personally, I prefer to work within limitations to create a few real successes rather than a lot of mediocre work. To me it’s a better way to spend resources.

LL