RE: [Pearg] [saag] Ten years after Snowden (2013 - 2023), is IETF keeping its promises?

Hello,

I agree with most of what you mention about the right to privacy not being absolute, or about the fact that technical solutions that are designed and published by the IETF should conform to what the broader society and regulations around the globe need.

My concern with the current state of affairs is that for privacy to be a purely philosophical or policy matter, we need to provide society (the user, regulators, involved parties) with the tools it needs to communicate the way it needs or want. In my view (that might be biased by my western philosophical background) it means that individuals need to be completely in control of what they use, and who they consent to communicate information with. Right now, in some aspects of our communications on the Internet, we are unconsciously leaking (meta)data on which we have little control, and that are accessible to a variety of parties that have a wide variety of reasons for de-anonymizing our communications. When we will be in a situation in which identifying the parties of a communication is a controlled process rather than the byproduct of unconscious design decisions, then we will be in a situation where we are in front of a philosophical dilemma, not before.

Best regards,

Antoine Fressancourt