Re: [Congress] New Non-WG Mailing List: congress

Pete, all,

On 22/12/2022 18:08, Pete Resnick wrote:

Yes, Martin and Zahed blew this one. Guys, please don't make everyone in the IETF do a search.

Having done the search:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsv-area/c_i1V8-fpPoW5uy47VbOQUN0aB8
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tcpm/icWg-mbUgNfY5jq_AGWFiobUxeM/

[BB] And this thread gives the original context and motivation before the above two threads:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsv-area/S0q0WyRBvqHEopqLz34G3b0tsKA/

I would have been simple to put such URLs into the announcement.

<soapbox>
It would also be interesting to have separate discussions at some point about why it is a really bad idea for ADs to be primary proponents for new work and making their co-ADs be the responsible AD. The opportunities for conflicts of interest (or even just the appearance of CoIs) are huge. If an AD can't find someone else to be the primary proponent, they either haven't tried hard enough or it's a sign that the work does not have sufficient support to get going.
</soapbox>

[BB] In slight mitigation, this WG is a rearrangement of existing WG responsibilities, rather than 'new work' per se.

Congestion Control (and AQM) work is brought to the IETF from time to time for standardization, and tcpm used to be the natural home, but with the growth of QUIC (and DCCP) a protocol-agnostic environment was considered wise. It is sort-of the ADs responsibility to tidy up in these circumstances. But, on the flip side, more effort could have been made to encourage others to push this after the initial impetus from the AD, which made me feel a bit uncomfortable but I admit I said nothing.

Bob

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best