Re: [Last-Call] [standcore.com-standards] Artart last call review of draft-billon-expires-07

su. den 11. 12. 2022 klokka 19.00 (-0500) skreiv John R. Levine:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2022, Barry Leiba via Datatracker wrote:
> > Reviewer: Barry Leiba
> > Review result: Ready
> >
> > Thanks for addressing my review comments on version 06.  Nothing more to say here: it’s ready to go.
>
> I did one more tweak and changed the meaning to "loses its validity" to
> match what's in RFC 4021 and be clear this really is the same as
> the Expires header that was defined in 1998.

Yes, RFC 4021 uses the term "validity", but RFC 2156 does not.  I don't
think it is worthwhile to keep this wording when it makes the header a
question of values (pun intended).  I agree with Viktor Dukhovni,

> The interpretation I would prefer see is "no longer timely or
> actionable".  It is too late to act on the content of an expired
> message (sale over, poll closed, lunch date missed, ...)

although I would suggest the shorthand "outdated".  Failing that, a full
paragraph like what Viktor wrote would not be amiss.

>From draft version 8:

>  4. Advice to Message Readers
>
> Message readers, such as mailbox providers, web mail and MUAs could
> de-emphasize the display of expired messages or determine not do
> display them. They could allow users to control the actions to take
> for expired messages.¶

I agree with Keith Moore, "mailbox providers" must be removed from that
list.

I also agree that the system *default* operation should not be to hide
or downgrade such messages, but enabling this could be made very easy
for the user, the same way an IMAP client typically has a toggle to
show/hide message with \Deleted set.

Suggested replacement text:

 4. Advice to Message Readers

Message readers, such as web mail and MUAs, can provide functionality
for users to de-emphasize the display of expired messages or not to
display them, or to specify automatic actions for expired messages.

(the next paragraph is fine, I include it here for context)

> The information provided in the header field is intended to be used as
> a signal to provide an improved experience to the end-user. For
> instance, systems might allow automatic rules to clean up expired
> email from specific message creators or with defined characteristics,
> or to provide a mode to quickly handle all expired email.¶

My suggested replacement text is intended to also make clear that
"systems might allow automatic rules" only when explicitly enabled by
the user.

I don't really have a problem with the text in the Security
considerations.

Perhaps the interaction with DKIM is worth a few words?  I do NOT think
we should (even) recommend to add the (usually missing) Expires to the
list of signed headers, and I do not think the existence of DKIM
validation for Expires should be used as input in the handling of a
message with the Expires header set, either.  So .. perhaps mentioning
DKIM will only risk giving someone the wrong idea.

Lastly, thanks for bringing up this draft, I think it is useful to have
Expires better defined for e-mail.

--
venleg helsing,
Kjetil T.