Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-billon-expires-07

On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 11:14:45AM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

> (1) The document appears to treat "valueless", "has no value",
> "loses its validity", "is [not] wanted", and "expired" as
> equivalent.  The first two might be, the plain English meanings
> of the others are not.  Similarly, the final sentence of Section
> 5 appears to say that "is wanted" and "fraudulent" are opposite
> categories.  Those differences in meaning interact with what one
> might want to do with the "expired" message, including deletion,
> warnings, etc.

The interpretation I would prefer see is "no longer timely or
actionable".  It is too late to act on the content of an expired
message (sale over, poll closed, lunch date missed, ...)

That does not mean that the message is unwanted, or valueless.  For
example, if it was an invitation, one might write to the host or sender
and apologise for missing the event.  One might also want to keep it
for one's records.

--
    Viktor.