Re: [Last-Call] [DNSOP] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-catalog-zones-08

That works for me.

Cathy

From: Joe Abley <jabley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, December 9, 2022 at 5:59 PM
To: Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "secdir@xxxxxxxx" <secdir@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "dnsop@xxxxxxxx" <dnsop@xxxxxxxx>, "draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-catalog-zones.all@xxxxxxxx" <draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-catalog-zones.all@xxxxxxxx>, "last-call@xxxxxxxx" <last-call@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-catalog-zones-08

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 23:17, Catherine Meadows via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nits: There are a lot of unexplained acronyms, especially at the beginning:
RR, SOA, NS RR, RDATA, PTR, and so on. These should be spelled out the first
time they are used at the document.

Most of these are the formal names of well-known code points in the DNS as well as being acronyms.

I think the document would be less clear if those terms were expanded; for example, "nameserver record" could mean any number of things where as "NS record" means exactly one thing and lack of ambiguity is surely important; RDATA refers to a specific component of a resource record whereas "resource record data" is much more vague.

(RR is different though; I think that one is reasonable to expand at first use since "resource record" is not vague.)

I think it's a good observation that the nature and meaning of these terms are not as obvious to normal people as they are to people who suffer from overexposure to the DNS, but I think there are likely better solutions than the one you propose.

Perhaps something like this could usefully be added to the end of section 2?

"This document makes use of terminology that is specific to the DNS, such as SOA, NS, RDATA and PTR. Since these terms have specific meanings in the DNS they are not expanded at first use in this document. For definitions of those and other terms, see RFC 8499."

Joe