Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-billon-expires-06.txt> (Updated Use of the Expires Message Header Field) to Proposed Standard

On 12/5/22 12:19, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

The I-D covers specified creators in Section 5:

                               For instance, systems may allow
   automatic rules to clean up expired email from specific message
   creators or with defined characteristics, or to provide a mode to
   quickly handle all expired email.

In my opinion, this is far too vague, and leaves too much room for parties other than the recipient to impose such "clean up".

Perhaps it should add that any auto-delete configuration should be under direct user's control.

Recipient's control.  And probably a MUST.

I think that delete by the MTA would have its own merit.  Many MTAs still hold undelivered messages for days, and rfc5321bis still says that "the give-up time generally needs to be at least 4-5 days."  For various kinds of transient messages, the give-up time could be much shorter.  MTAs don't need to read Expire fields, however, since RFC2852's DELIVERBY addresses exactly that use case.

And DELIVERBY is presumably specified by the sender of the message, whereas Expires policy should only be set by the recipient.

It might be good for this draft to explicitly compare Expires to DELIVERBY.  And it should specifically forbid intermediate systems (not just MTAs but also spam filters) from deleting messages based on Expires.

Keith