Re: What exactly is an internet (service) provider?

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 09:21:44AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> This happens on the sub-IP layer and hasn't got to do much with ISPs.
> You get what you pay for.
> Same here.
> You can't get reliable multicast service anywhere in the world.
> It's not a real problem to get native IPv6 over ADSL or SDSL.
> Which one is that?
>
> The case you are writing about does *not* block 25/TCP on the TCP/IP
> layer.
>
> It's true that certain extremely cheap products don't offer that much
> Internet or Service.  These products are marketed aggressively and are
> usually sold at a loss.  Nobody forces you to buy them.

You missed the point. This is not about complaining that I don't get
enough for the money. This is that I don't know in advance what
I do get for my money.

"Nobody forces you to buy them" is true only as long as I do
know what exactly they offer and as it is my decision to buy
it or not. But if I buy "Internet" and don't see what I'm
buying, then I don't have the choice.

I do not want to blame anyone for selling NAT access.
I want him to give a clear statement about what he is
selling.

regards
Hadmut

(And, btw, some of the statements are incorrect.
- Some providers intentionally cut their customers
  off after 24 hours in order to force them to have
  a new IP address.

- It is a real problem to get native IPv6 over DSL
  in Germany. Some providers simply don't want to
  provide IPv6, because they say "Internet" is IPv4.
)