Re: [Last-Call] Iotdir telechat review of draft-ietf-lamps-lightweight-cmp-profile-15

Niklas

Thank you for your review and feedback.
See my responses below.

Hendrik

> Von: Niklas Widell via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx>
>
> Minor issue:
> - (more of a question really)  The draft notes that it can be used for
> (constrained) IoT devices, and I don't see anything directly countering that
> (e.g., there is mapping to CoAP, optionality is reduced etc). However, without
> implementation insights it is hard to say if the profile actually results in
> lightweight implementation - are there any results to show that that is the
> case? E.g., are any of the mandatory EE side operations known to be
> cumbersome
> from compute perspective, or are the similar existing 3gpp & UNISIG profiles
> reasonably lean in size?

[HB] The profile is called 'lightweight' as it reduces the variety of options CMP
offers and therefore an implementation can take respective assumptions. This
greatly reduces development effort and code size.
There is a prototype implementation using mbed that shows that the protocol
can be implemented on devices that have some limitations.

> Nits:
>
> - (editorial) section 4: the CMP message names (ip/cp/etc) are  not described
> until section four, but used before that. Given the otherwise good background
> material it would be good to have the reference moved earlier.

[HB] Thank you for this hint. I will add this Sentence at the end of Section 1.9

NEW:
CMP messages are referred to by the names of PKIBody choices defined in CMP
Section 5.1.2 [RFC4210] and are further described in Section 4 of this document.

> - Why, if CMP message names are well known and commonly used, are they
> only
> used for CoAP paths and not for HTTP ones?  (e.g., why does CoAP have "ir" and
> HTTP "initiatlization" for the same operation (enroll EE to new PKI))

[HB] The path segments identify the PKI management operation and not only the
type of its initial message. For CoAP we wanted to define short path segments. For
HTTP we decided for names descriptive also for people not knowing the CMP
message types.