Re: [Last-Call] [Ext] Artart last call review of draft-pti-pen-registration-08

Thanks, Amanda: that makes sense.

Barry

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 3:21 PM Amanda Baber <amanda.baber@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Barry,

On 11/8/22, 10:17 AM, "Barry Leiba via Datatracker" <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
    The question: Section 2.1 says, “The contact's name and email address will be
    included in the public registry.”

    Hadn’t we decided not to post email addresses in the registries going forward,
    for privacy reasons?  I thought that IANA would record but not post the contact
    details, and would make the connection upon request.  But maybe I misremember
    or misunderstood.

The thinking here was essentially to warn applicants that addresses will be published, which is the status quo.

While there hasn't been any movement towards completely removing contact details from protocol parameter registries, we've had some internal desire to obscure the contact information in a more meaningful way (such as behind a challenge mechanism like a CAPTCHA). However, we believe that moving to a model where contact information is fully removed from the public resources would require significant review, as it would represent a fundamental change from current procedures.

Applicants who use web-based registration request forms are required to acknowledge and accept our privacy policy (i.e. https://www.icann.org/privacy/policy), which governs the use of PII in accordance with GDPR (and other pertinent regulations). Submitting a request via email generates an auto-response that points them to this policy.

Thanks,
Amanda