Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane-21.txt> (Segment Routing IPv6 for Mobile User Plane) to Proposed Standard

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 7:09 PM Joel Halpern <jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This document appears to be technically internally consistent. However,
it appears to redefine the 3GPP architecture.  Which seems inappropriate
for an IETF Proposed Standard.

I don't find any redefine for the 3GPP architecture. It states:

user plane modes section {
 we introduce two mechanisms for
   interworking with legacy access networks (those where the N3
   interface is unmodified).  In this document we introduce them as a
   variant to the Enhanced mode, however they are equally applicable to
   the Traditional mode.
}

The document uses the 3GPP architecture for IPv6, but does not redefine, however, in future it may redefine IPv6 within such usecases.

if another SDO started redefining the IP
architecture we would be (and have been) understandably upset.  The
Traditional mode significantly modifies a defined standard encapsulation
from 3GPP.  The Enhanced Mode goes further, and redefines the 3GPP
architecture for delivering services.

IMO those modes if only related to IPv6 mobile services

These may be good ideas.  if so, they should be discussed and adopted by
the SDO which owns the architecture.

If related/dependent to IPv6 then should be discussed here,

The fact that these were brought
to 3GPP and preliminary versions of these ideas were turned down
emphasis the point that we should not be stepping on other people's work.

The mobile network industry have liked to use IPv6 (IETF Work) so their networking are depending on our WORK, IMHO they should be discussing it in IETF not else where.

AB