Re: [Last-Call] Change of position: Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 9:26 PM Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to change my position on this. In a recent message, Dan acknowledges that using sarcasm or satire is problematic:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/last-call/-8qnygF1ywCc3nQAWg0jGCEtLdo/
To my mind, given that Dan has been a significant technical contributor over many years, that is really all the community can ask for. I don't think the IETF would gain anything at this point by applying a PR Action, and would possibly lose future significant technical contributions.
Thanks for that input Brian, it helped me sort out my thinking.

My conclusion remains the opposite - proceed with the action, even if I agree that this runs the risk of losing input from a valuable contributor. My reasoning is that that potential loss is dwarfed by the loss of contributions from multiple other people who walk away from groups where they encounter behavior that they perceive as abusive.

As I've noted before, a high proportion of online communities that exist to facilitate work have converged on this sme arithmetic.