Re: [art] A very late suggestion (was; Re: Back from leave)

There at least two advantages of moving toward the three AD
model rather than, e.g., re-splitting the area or thinking about
other types of arrangements.  One is that the Nomcom is already
looking for nominees for an ART AD with a known job description
and list of desirable characteristics.  If they have a pool of
candidates, picking two from the pool is, or should be,
minimally disruptive.  If, by contrast, we split the area,
either back to Apps and Real-time or to separate IoT-like work
from the rest of the Area, there would need be a new definition
of the boundary (which would not necessarily be the same as last
time), figuring out how many ADs each new Area gets, etc.   The
Nomcom would be left with zero candidates for ADs for the new
positions and the ART position and candidate(s) would become
irrelevant (and a proposed cutoff of Wednesday, which is already
very late).  The second is that moving to a different structure
-- either a split into two areas or some other organizational
arrangement (like a "secretary" with broader scope) would, I
think inevitably, increase the load on Murray and Francesca at
precisely the time when they are stretched thinner than we
should reasonably expect of  them.  I have every confidence that
they would try to make it work, but driving people crazy or
making them feel that the AD role is just no fun any more should
not be one of our goals for ADs.

With the "third AD" plan, even if the IESG cannot make up its
mind until the week of IETF, that at least should not blow up
the Nomcom -- they could keep the possibility in mind and work
internally toward first and second choices with one being
dropped out if nothing happens.  Even if the extra slot is just
a possibility, getting candidates for vacant slots has
historically been much easier than getting candidates to run
again a first-term incumbent who is widely perceived (at least
among those I've talked with) as having done a great job.  And,
if the IESG has already considered the three AD option, as I
think they have, it should take them less time to figure out
what should be done than if they were starting with a new idea
(such as splitting the areas).

So, pragmatically, while there might be a different answer in
some alternate reality, the "third AD" model is the only thing I
can imagine being feasible this year.

best,
   john

--On Monday, October 24, 2022 14:24 -0500 Mary B