Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

Abdussalam Baryun wrote:

> In
> USA they already discussed in the past/public what public-technology was
> stupid and what was intelligent, and some other new communities are getting
> starting to discuss it in public.

Thank you for your attempt to defend me. But I should point it out
that bashing IPv6 is a repeated and, in some sense, favored topic in
NANOG (North American Network Operators' Group) ML, against which
IETF has no control. Of course, there are both kinds of people who
are arguing for and against IPv6.

While we can enjoy discussions there having certain (maybe
minimal) respect to others, there is no one there to say bashing
some technology is "uncivil".

The last such thread was initiated on March 19th this year
with an initial subject of 'IPv6 "bloat"'.

But, the thread surprised me because William Allen Simpson (many of
us personally know him as a major contributor for IPv6) joined
the thread *AGAINST* IPv6 as a person who have detailed
knowledge for internal decisions for IPv6.

His first message to the thread is

	https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2022-March/218457.html

which should be quite enlightening for most, if not all, of us.

> In USA they already discussed in the past/public what
> public-technology was stupid and what was intelligent,

An important point of the thread is why IPv6 address is
so lengthy. And the history around it recognized by the
thread with my understanding is that:

	1) There was a L3(?) protocol called XNS, which use L2
	address as lower part of L3 address, which is layer
	violation, which disappeared and IPv4 won the
	battle at L3.

	2) Though IAB tried to force IETF to accept CLNP
	(developed by OSI) as an alternative for IPv4, it was
	denied by democratic process in IETF and a project to
	develop IPng, which should be different from CLNP, was
	initiated in IETF.

	3) the project resulted to choose SIP, which has 8B
	address, as the primary candidate for IPng though
	some attempt to merge it with other proposals
	(though such mergers usually result in worse results
	than originals).

	4) then, all of a sudden, a closed committed of
	IPng directorates decided that address should be
	16B long to revive an abandoned, with reasons,
	address structure of XNS, which is not a
	democratic process.

	5) we, including me, was not aware that 16B address
	is so painful to operate, partly because I hoped
	most initial bit can be all zero. But...

That is the recently recognized history of IPv6 and most, if
not all. of my points in it can be confirmed by the link for
a mail from Bill Simpson.

It should also be noted that unnecessarily lengthy address
of IPv6 may be motivated to revive CLNP addressing against
the democratic process. See rfc1888 for such a proposal.

					Masataka Ohta